Monday, January 18, 2016

New Years Fears

So I have never been one for New Years resolutions.  I have seen so many people talking about them and hype them up and then totally disregard them when life starts in the New Year.  Its like everyone gets a gym membership and sets these amazing fitness goals and then after one week back at the job and back to normal life after the holiday buzz wears off and they are back to eating their Patti Labelle Pies....no judgement.....they are amazing.  I guess I just watched and knew that there would be failure and I didn't want to experience that in my own life so I just wouldn't make the resolution to change.  If I don't then I can't fail right?   
    This seams innocent enough I guess.  Who cares if you don't set a New Years resolution.  Lots of people don't.  I have noticed more and more though that I don't even set goals in my life.  I have nothing really that I am aiming for.  Nothing that I desire to happen for my life that I am working to achieve.  It is funny because I am looking back in the last several months and I feel like the Lord is calling me to do just that.  To set some goals.  To get some direction and purpose and work toward it.  
   I was sitting in my dressing room one day and my friend Steve Hershey looked at me after a spirited exchange of sarcasm and said...."Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"   To which I hemmed and hawed trying to think of the "right" answer to that.  I honestly had no clue.  I had no ambition no drive to be anything other than what I was currently and the thought of that was so unsettling to me.  
  Fast forward to New Years day this year.  I was with my friends Julie and Jenny and they were sharing their goals for 2016.  They were listing off these amazing things that they were working toward and I started to get jealous.  They asked me about mine and it was the same response that I gave my friend Steve.....I have no clue.....  
  Fast forward to yesterday, I am visiting a church in town and the pastor is talking about goals and purpose and says if we don't have goals or a direction in our lives then we are going to constantly be distracted from the path God has for us. Such a simple truth but one I needed to be reminded of.  There are things in my life that I get so angry at the Lord about.  Frustrated that things aren't changing or I am not growing at the rate I want or feel like I should be.  Thinking through all of that I realize that I am the one totally responsible for it.  I can shake my fist at the sky but I really should be setting legitimate goals for my life.  Goals to grow and to become closer to the Lord.  Goals to learn and become better.  Goals that I can do in a week, a month, a year, 5 years.  I have been traveling through life for so long with nothing more than a survival attitude and missing out on opportunities to thrive and to achieve and to ultimately have some peace that I yearn for.  
    So this whole long winded blog to say, Im making some goals this year.  I might fail and that totally scares me, but ultimately I will move forward which is still a victory.  So I guess my challenge to those of you that read this that are somewhat like me.  Lets push forward toward the Goals that God places in our lives and press into our savior Jesus who is our sustainer.  Lets encourage each other this year to be better and to move forward.  Lets speak life! Lets speak Love!  We are no longer slaves to FEAR! Lets achieve great things and bring glory to the one who has saved us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog