Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cruise Control





I have neglected this blog for too long! So I am going to back track a bit and catch up with what has happened in the past few months. So we shall start with the Cruise Trip experience. In January I went on a family cruise that ported out of Puerto Rico and continued its journey through the Caribbean. Beautiful islands and a really wonderful trip. There was some interesting events along the way, but all provided for growth and learning.
When we got to Puerto Rico we took a taxi into downtown San Juan. My brother had reserved a room at a hostel for us that was super close to the port. Little did we know that the day we arrived was the beginning of their version of Mardi Gras, called San Sabastian Festival. We took a taxi as far as we could and then walked about a quarter of a mile through crowded streets full of drunks and crazies! Keep in mind we have all of our luggage and are trying to find the place in general. If I were by myself this would be a different story, but to have the whole family with me it was a crazy experience. We finally made it safe and sound to the hostel which was probably one of the nicest ones I have ever gone to. The next morning we boarded the ship and took the adventure to some amazing islands. St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts. Each one with something new and interesting to do and see. Went snorkeling and saw some pretty fish. Actually achieved a tan in the process which is unheard of for this white boy.
Amidst all of the fun were some challenges. A year prior to going on this family vacation I was just getting off my ship and bringing an end to a tough chapter in my life. Lots of bad choices and mistakes. This past year was a year of amazing healing and I was so blessed. Getting back on a ship reminded me of all the fun things I remembered but also all the wounds that were there too. It made me miss an old unhealthy relationship. It made me miss traveling the world. It made me miss making buckets of money. Haha. Then came the challenge of just going on a trip with family. I love my family to death, but to spend an extended time with them can be a bit daunting. Especially considering we are a bit different in views sometimes. Through all the ups and downs on the trip I feel that amidst it all there was healing and new growth. Some wounds were re-opened, but because of that it allowed a new layer of healing.
If you ever have a chance to visit those beautiful islands I highly suggest you do it. They are truly enchanting and you cannot help but relax while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog