Monday, March 27, 2017

Love and Loss

I honestly don’t even know where to begin with this blog because I don’t have words.  There is no plan here.  Just a time for me to process this week.  For those of you who don’t know my Niece Reese passed away this past Tuesday.  She was born with a genetic disorder that threatened her life from day one.  
  The thing with my niece though is that she was a fighter and was born into a family of fighters.  So for the next 2 years and 10 months we all fought together.  We grew in love with her more and more each day.  With each curve ball that was thrown there was a chance to grow.  I watched my Brother and Sister in Law become some of the most amazing people I know.   The strength and determination in them was and is amazing.  The faith in the Lord they held to was inspiring.
   I was talking to friends the other day and just saying that Reese had a profound effect on my whole family.  We, like any family, have our issues.  We have squabbles and quirks that get in the way.  When Reese came into our world she had this amazing ability to take away the selfishness.  There was no room for it in our lives.  Not to say that it didn’t try and creep its ugly head back in, but ultimately there was a united focus on caring for our little angel and supporting one another along the way.  So, we journeyed together and are stronger and more united because of this precious little girl.  
    When Reese went into the hospital last week I was told about how many people were there for my Brother and Sister in Law.  How the pastor was one of the first people there.  How the community from there church made sure there was always someone there.  I watched as the pastor of a huge congregation at my parents church took the time to be intentional with my dad and how the pastor and his way made time to meet with both my parents and help walk them through some of this grief we are experiencing now.  I watched as three dear friends dropped everything the night of Reese’s death and came to my house to pack my bag and help my book my flight in the midst of incredible headache.  I watched as person after person would call different members of my family and support and love them then and pray for us.  I watched as my Branson Sight and Sound family made a time to just love on me and pray for me in-between their shows.
  Each time I watched these things I was humbled and reminded that this is what community is like.  This is what the Lord planned for us.  Although the circumstances were horrible, I saw how beautiful the fellowship of believers is.  I experienced first had the power of prayer.  Its messy, and awkward, and beautiful.  
   At Reese’s service the pastor talked about how they cheer for the kids in the church as the leave to go to Sunday School.  The cheer to encourage and support them as the pursue Christ.  They cheer to remind them that they are loved and cared for by a community.  During the service he asked the people who came to join in clapping for Reese as she was stepping into something far greater than Sunday school.  She was stepping into heaven.  Tears rolled as we cheered with everything we had.  As we cheered through the grief of loosing someone far to soon.  As we cheered though heartache of loosing this precious girl.  As we cheered knowing we would see her again, whole and complete.  
   This week I leaned over my sweet niece, kissed her cheeks one more time, held her hand one more time, told her I loved her one more time as we said goodbye, for now.  I have never experienced grief like this.  I have never experienced what mourning truly is until now.  In the midst of it all I am thankful to have been her Uncle.  I am thankful to have been able to love a girl so beautiful and so precious.  I am thankful that I will see her again.  

    Please continue to keep my family and me in your prayers.  I can’t tell you how much each of you mean to me.  I can’t express how grateful I am.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog