Friday, October 8, 2010

Days of our Birth

So, yesterday was my brother’s birthday and also my love’s birthday. Birthdays are such a weird celebration. For some they are just another day. For others it is a big celebration that must be celebrated with fireworks and fanfare. Then there is a middle group of people who don’t care either way. I think most of these are slightly determined by either you age and or gender. In any event, I usually land in the middle group. Some birthdays I think deserve a bit of excitement and others I would just rather keep low key. No matter what though, I think on birthdays you are meant to be surround by friends or family. To be around the people who love you and care for you. It is a nice reminder once a year that people are glad that you are alive and because you are alive you have impacted their lives.
I am use to being away from my brother on his birthday. His is one of the only birthdays in my family that I actually remember. I will usually call and sing a soothing rendition of happy birthday for him which he loves. Haha. Then if I am in town we might go to dinner or something as a family. I am use to, at this point, not being around though. He knows I love him and how much I appreciate him and that is that. We have never been the most sentimental of brothers, although I wish we were sometimes.
Being away from my love yesterday was a bit hard. To be able to celebrate and spoil that special someone on their special day is something that I love to do. To spend that quality time with them and remind them over and over how much you care for them is something I missed out on doing. Of course I did all of those things from afar, but it just wasn’t the same for me, and my heart was heavy a little. This whole long distance thing is always a challenge in some way. I am so proud of my relationship and how God has really blessed and maintained it while we have been apart. There are just little times like birthdays, or parties, or gathering of friends that you wish you could be a part of with them. To be there having fun with them again and enjoying just Being there. Around the person. In the same place. Being able to glance across a crowded room, and be talking to totally different groups or people, and shoot a wink to your other half. Little things like that, that fill your heart. At least mine anyway. These are things that I am looking so forward to when I get home. To be able to enjoy those little moments that we take for granted.
Today was a quite day for me. I walked around Sydney, Nova Scotia and had a lot of time to think. Days like this are great sometimes, and other times they are hard. Today was kind of a mix. I enjoyed the simplicity of my day and the town that I was in. It kind of just slowed me down a bit and allowed me to breath and remember to take time and enjoy where I am at right now, and not get to far ahead me myself. On the other end of things it was one of those days that I wish I could have been exploring with my bestie. We made the most out of even a silly town like Pigeon Forge, and had fun exploring and enjoying the better things the area had to offer. So, when I am walking, especially on my own, I think about how much fun it would be, to be doing this with my love. Exploring a place that neither of us has been and enjoying the history, food, and culture of the city we are in.
In order to put myself in perspective, and not get too wrapped up in the Debbie downer part of my day, I made a note of how long I have left in my contract. 6 more weeks after this one. That’s it. Then I am done and back on land. Able to drive my car, be with friend, celebrate the holidays with loved ones. 6 weeks. That is no time at all. Of course once I reach that point there will be a whole other set of things to deal with, but for now. I will rest in the fact that I am done soon. I can enjoy my time and trust that the Lord will finish up all the loose ends that are out there right now. I can also rejoice in the fact that I once said I would never do long distance and kicked and screamed that I couldn’t do it, and now look at where we are. 4 months apart, and I feel like I love, and am more at peace with my relationship than ever. I feel like we both have grown and matured. I feel like we both realized some things we were taking for granted. I feel like we are even better at communicating than we already were. I feel good. J
So, in saying these things, I am blessed because my love was born. I have been touched because of that life coming into this world and the Lord is using that to grow me and teach me. I am so thankful for you my love. Happy Birthday, and hopefully next year I can have the blessing of celebrating it with you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog