Friday, November 5, 2010

Sailing

I think one of my favorite things about being on a ship are the stormy days. There is something about how the ocean looks and feels right before the storm hits. The smell in the air that tells you that the weather is about to change. Watching the clouds roll across the sky and seeing the rain as it heads in your direction. Maybe I have too much faith in my captain on the ship or the vessel itself, but I never think that is might effect my safety. I am more caught up in the majesty of the stormy day and the orchestra of wind, rain, and lightening that ensues.
I don’t know what it is about being on a ship, but it always makes me think of life in ship terms. Haha. I think it is interesting to consider the picture of our lives being a ship and experiencing the different kinds of weather; challenges and trials, we face. Not every thing is a big storm with crashing waves and thunder and lightening. Sometimes you come across fog, where you can’t see clearly. Sometimes you come across huge waves that rock your ship from side to side, and it can be a struggle to stay on course.
It is calming for me to think about my life in such a way. Sometime I feel like my problems or worries are so big and too much to handle. Why should I think that way though. I can look at a storm coming toward the cruise ship I am on, and not have a care in the world. I can enjoy the ride, so to speak, and take in the effects of it. I trust in the captain and know that he will navigate us through anything rough that we may come up against. We are safe on the ship, because we have someone leading the way that is trained and knowledgeable.
I have that is my life as well. My captain is a heavenly father who is all knowing and can, and does, lead me through every storm or change in weather that I face. I can go through a time of not knowing where I am going next, because I have a captain who is sailing me through it. I can go through times when there is a lot of change and people fail me, knowing that no matter how much my world is rocked I will make it through because my captain is pushing through the rough patch and I will stay on the course he has set for my life.
I am so thankful right now for God’s provision in my life. He has brought so much joy and growth to me. He has allowed me to face different challenges that have made me a much stronger man than I was. He has allowed me to experience true friendship and true family. He has allowed me to be in a relationship with someone that I adore and through that relationship opened my eyes even more to his amazing unconditional love for me. Thank you LORD!!!
With all this talk about ships and sailing and life and challenges, I am reminded of a song that my friend Shea showed me by Phil Wickham. Some of the Lyrics go like this: “With every storm I face. I find a greater grace. Which pulls me deeper into your heart. Im sailing on a ship that’s bound for life. I wrestle with the wind against the tide, I leave it all behind to reach for more. I’m sailing on to your golden shore.” I am thankful for this journey, and hopeful for an amazing future, being directed by my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog