Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Nueva York

So, I never have considered myself the kind of guy that would settle down in a city. I was raised in a smaller town where you really did know pretty much everyone. I grew up where I can hop in my car and drive, I can go for a hike, I can find a farmers market and enjoy fresh produce grown literally a mile or so away from my home. Yesterday in New York I got to see a glimpse of the small town that it really is. It was a beautiful day and I got some fresh perspective that was rather refreshing.
I got off the ship and went to breakfast with my friend Erika. I had some amazing French toast (surprise) along with some delicious eggs and real bacon(as opposed to the frozen nasty stuff on the ship). It felt like a breakfast that my Mom would make growing up and it took me back to waking up before school and coming down for a hearty breakfast as my mom bustled around trying to make sure we had everything together for our day. After that I took a walk and ran some errands. I went up 5th Avenue and up to Central Park. Normally walking around on my own in the city makes me a feel a bit lonely, but yesterday I found myself being more observant and opening my eyes to what was going on.
I saw an older couple walking around in the Park. She had her knit cardigan on, and he had his high waisted pants and loafers. The stereotypical older couple. Hand in hand he guided her and pointed out various types of flowers and plants. Just made me smile. Have they lived in New York their whole lives? Is this something that they use to do when they were dating or first married? Little things that I don’t normally think of when I imagine living in NYC. Having an easy day just relaxing in the park with your special someone.
Later on in the day I made my way to Starbucks and took advantage of the free wifi. While I was on there my old friend Joanna messaged me and said that she was in New York as well and asked me where I was at. I told her, and in 10 minutes she was sitting with me and we were catching up on the past 2 years that we hadn’t seen each other. Small world. Small town. What are the odds of meeting someone from England that I hadn’t seen in that long , who just happened to be in the same city and literally a block away from me. Big City, but moments like that give me a glimpse of how small it really is.
After meeting up with Jo, she and I went for a bit of a walk. It was about the time that most of the schools were getting out. School busses lined the side street by one of the schools and mothers were waiting outside for the little ones. I passed a couple little boys who were playing tag on the side walk and a group of little girls who were looking at some kid’s magazines. Probably all about Twilight, I didn’t check. Lol. For me this was a bizarre sight. These are things that I did after school when I was waiting for my mom. Things I did in my small town. To see these kids doing those same things in a City that, when I was there age, didn’t even know existed outside of movies, was so refreshing to me. It gave warmth to a city that can be rather cold. It slowed down the fast paced life that I normally experience there and reminded me that a life really could be lived there, and there really would be people around that would care about me and I could relate to and fellowship with. We continued to walk and I saw a little kid in front of a hotdog stand dancing and the couple running the stand were dancing with her. I saw tenderness that I don’t normally associate with that city.
Seeing these things and experiencing that softer side of the city opened my eyes even more to the prospect of living there. Having a family there and building a life. I don’t if I could live there forever, but I think I could give it a go. The city of opportunity is no longer limited in my head to job opportunities, but opportunities to have a life, have friends, have a family, be happy. It isn’t as scary anymore. For that, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog