Saturday, September 4, 2010

Stormy Seas!



Hurricane Earl now holds a special place in my heart. Most people hate hurricanes and think on them with terror or remorse. Not to in any way diminish from the seriousness of a tropical storm like that, but I have to say it provided a bit of excitement on our ship this past week. Two days at sea with 12 to 18 foot waves that rock the ship in ways I never thought it could. In the middle of the night you hear crashes against the side of the ship that might have sounded similar to what the passengers onboard the Titanic must have heard that fateful night. (I might be taking some liberties here.) Early on Thursday morning I was awoken by a loud banging on my door. I was startled and thought it was just another crash of a wave and quickly realized that a Indian accent was yelling through my door “SE CUR E TI!” I quickly throw on some clothes and grab the door. A very short man quickly yells at me to close my porthole. To which I respond “I beg your pardon.” Then he quickly screams in his wonderful accent that it is a safety hazard to have them open during the storm “A man died on the Perl because of a shattered porthole! Hurry!” So, I quickly oblige him and seal the port hole shut. Thus begins my 2 day imprisonment on the ship. There is something about having a window to the outside world that puts ones mind at ease in some strange way. Since that was taken away from me, I began to get the antsy feeling inside my chest. This is a situation that only trashy food and several movies and tv series can remedy. I embraced this terrible situation and wrapped myself up in my nice comforter and ordered several orders of Chicken fingers with chips and mini pizzas as I devoured almost my entire dvd collection and part of a season of 30 Rock. Don’t worry outside world. I made it through hurricane Earl with the help of carbs and Tina Fey. Thanks friendsJ In all seriousness I am very thankful for our captain and crew who are responsible for getting us through what could have been a bad situation. We made it back to NYC alive and in one piece and they even kept the many tourists onboard happy for the whole cruise despite several changes to their schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog