Friday, September 17, 2010

There's a Change in the Air

There are a lot of things going on here. So many new challenges and hurdles that need to be jumped and then hopefully we can have “smooth sailing” for the rest of the contract. We just acquired a new singer that is being installed into the show along with a new adage couple. Being the vocal captain on the ship I have been busy running some rehearsals and helping teach our new guy the music. He is a quick study though so I am not worries. We have moved around some songs in order to make the show work better so I have like 4 new songs that I am singing so it is like I am in a new show as well. Kind of exciting and kind of scary all at the same time. What an experience though in being flexible and working though difficult/stressful circumstances. We open our who for the 2nd time now in 2 days. Fingers crossed everything will go smoothly without any pitfalls.
On a more pleasant note we are now on the New England run and I am LOVING it! The air is changing to this clean, cool, crisp air that just slightly nips your nose when you go outside. Our first port that we go to is Newport, Rhode Island and it is probably one of the quaintest little towns I have ever been to. It reminds me a lot of going to Vermont and visiting my Aunt and Uncle John and Mary. Going and eating at great restaurants and enjoying just a more laid back atmosphere. The town has a lot of historical buildings and sights to see. It also has a ton of sailboats that are so beautiful and ornate. I am a huge fan of sailboats. They are just so elegant as they glide across the water. The sails shifting with the wind driving the boat from one direction to the next. Really beautiful. I got off the ship and took the tender boat to the dock and got off into the town. After that I walked through part of the town taking in the sights and smells of restaurants with all their windows open because the temperature is just perfect. Some friends and I found a really great restaurant serving brunch and took advantage of it. We had an amazing meal with great conversation and laughter. After that I ventured out on my own a little in my search to find free wifi. Brick streets bordered by little shops with various different wares to sell. A little white church sits at the center of town surrounded by a beautiful lawn that was beckoning you to come and lay down or pull our your frisbee and have some fun. I fought the urge to take off my shoes and walk through the lawn and made my way to the famous free wifi spot….Starbucks. Even the Starbucks here was beautiful. It had a loft on top with really comfy chairs that I made my home as I did my bible study with my love via Skype. What a wonderful day. I didn’t want to leave that town at all and I am really looking forward to next week when we go back. This time I am going to really do some exploring. Also, the next time we are there the town will be hosting the Annual Sailboat races. Should be good for some nice pictures and entertainment.
The rest of this cruise we are making our way from Halifax, NS to Sydney, NS and finishing out our time in Quebec City. We will be in rehearsals for all but Quebec City so I will be running off the ship as quickly as possible. At that point I think I will be on the verge of cabin fever.
Tonight I had a great dinner with my friend Erika and then took a walk on my own around the Promenade deck There was on one else out there so I took my time as I circled the ship. Watching the end of a beautiful sunset and thinking about how much I miss my love. There is something about looking out over the seemingly endless ocean that makes you feel so small. It is a peaceful feeling and a lonely feeling all at the same time. Really hard for me to describe. In any case, I found a deck chair and sat for a bit. Let out some tears, and rested for a moment there as I chatted with the Lord about my heart. Living in a bubble here on the ship has been hard for me because of the disconnect. I love being able to call my friend and see how they are or vent if something is going on with me. I think this is so good for me in many many ways, but hard because I feel so alone because of that disconnect. It is good because it reminds me that the person I need to be going to more is my Lord. Challenges, learning experience, growing pains, these are themes of this New Adventure I am on. Just when things start to get comfortable here comes something else. I do rejoice in that because it means that I am indeed growing and it will make me a stronger man because of it, doesn’t make it any easier though.
So, to my loved ones and friends, keep me in your prayers for patience and a strong heart. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog