Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sunsets and Lighthouses


Today I had a wonderful day in Newport. It started off with me getting up and wanting to get off the ship as quickly as possible. I had a lot on my mind and was ready to get some fresh air and walk around a bit. So, I held off on breakfast and made my way to the gangway right after a quick cup of coffee of course. I get there and end up waiting, and waiting, and waiting. In reality it wasn’t really that long, I was just being impatient. Finally I got on the tender boat and waiting more as we made our way to shore. Finally we made it and my friends and I headed for our favorite restaurant. We get there and it is closed…..now what. My already impatient mind is getting a bit frazzled. So, we walk a bit and every where we turn the restaurants are closed and only open for dinner. Finally we find a nice place and enjoy a great meal. During our time off the ship it is always important to use the electronic devices that you normally can’t. Especially if you have business to attend to. I have a huge pet peeve about talking on the phone around other people especially at a restaurant or in a car. My 2 friends I was with were both on their phones talking on and off during out time at the restaurant. It really wasn’t a big deal but I found myself getting more frustrated due to the already annoying events of the morning. They finished their business and we had a great meal and enjoying some laughter and lobster. After our meal and bit of shopping we stopped by Starbucks for wifi. I talked to my love and got a reminder of how blessed I am. How many things I have to be happy about. After talking there for a bit I went off on my own and walked around the town and took a look at some of the historical buildings. I found a colonial church with a beautiful lawn and garden next to it. I found a nice shaded spot and laid down in the grass. I looked up at the trees and watched the breeze move the branches and leaves from side to side. I ran my hands across the cool grass and took some deep breaths. I talked to my heavenly father and was reminded by his beautiful creation that I am loved. That there is a plan for my life, and that I don’t have to worry so much. I don’t have to take on the cares of the world. I don’t have to try and fix everything. It isn’t my job. After relaxing there a bit I went back to the ship and decided to motivate myself for the gym. I came back to my room changed and had a delicious meal while watching the sunset outside on the top deck. I was kicking myself because I didn’t have my camera or my phone and the view was literally breather taking. A gorgeous sunset reflecting off the water as sail boats glided there way to whatever destination they were heading. A beautiful house that was nestled on the top of a rock right in the middle of the water. Cliffs that jutted out and waves crashing on them. A light house at the very edge of the shore line. Perched on a cliff with it’s light shining brightly into the oncoming night. It was a wonderful evening that I will not soon forget. After today I read though some of my blogs and thought about who I am and what I strive to be. What are my goals. My love challenged me to make a list of all the things that make me happy. As much as I worry, and as much as I stress, and as much as I miss my love and my friends, I am content. I am happy. Do I have ambitions and desires that I am hoping will pan out, yes, but for now…today…I am choosing to let myself be happy. To wrap myself up in the joy that is in my life and is in my heart and exhale everything else. Tonight, I will sleep well. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog