Thursday, August 26, 2010

Moonlit Nights and Crashing Waves

The ocean has a way of reminding you how small you are, how little you are compared to the world. It has a way of reminding you that you are not in control and that even if you tried to be you are too small to really do anything about it. It has a way of reminding you that you are desperately dependant on God to provide, sustain, love, guide, and the list goes on an on.
Last night I was sitting in my cabin on the ship and looked out my window to see a full moon reflecting off the water. I sat there for a moment and then turned off all the lights in my room and just let the moonlight shine through the tiny porthole. Having the soft fingers of moonlight reach in and touch my room illuminating it just enough to see. I put on my shoes and headed for the door. Up to the top deck, I decided to take a walk.
Standing there by myself watching the water move past, the seemingly endless water, crashing and swelling as the ship moves. The ocean breeze hitting my face, caressing it like a sweet lover. I am humbled. I keep walking to the other side of the ship and look out to see a huge thunderhead in the distance being brilliantly lit up with lightening. Far enough away that I don’t hear or feel the effects, but close enough to enjoy the majesty and beauty of it. I am amazed.
Is that what life is like for us? Boundless ocean, as you move across you encounter various things. You go from smooth water to rough waves. You see in the distance that trouble is coming, but the ocean still moves in that direction, because that is where you are suppose to be. You are dashed against jagged rocks and then massaged on sandy beaches. You are transformed by wind that lifts you up in a hurricane, and then calmed by the steady current that takes you to the next destination.
Sometimes I forget that life is not in my control and that I am not in charge. Nights like last night put everything else in perspective. I am not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog