Sunday, August 1, 2010

And Stretch........




The first week of rehearsals is finally done and I am exhausted. My voice, patience, emotions, etc, have been stretched to the limits and this day is now set aside for me and myself. Time to be selfish a bit and enjoy some TLC. The first item on my agenda is to fill all of you in on my time so far. I am going to start out by telling you about each member of my cast.
Erika-one of my best friends, worked with her at the Miracle. She keeps me grounded and allows me to vent and gives me the best advice that she can. I love her and appreciate her so much! Thank God that she is here with me. Keeps me sane.
Ryan-Also, a good friend of mine. Worked at the Miracle together. Ryan is very organized and logical. He is always good for some logical advice. Straight forward and has an amazing heart. Between Ryan and Erika I have a firm footing in reality and a reminder of who I am.
Max-The other male singer. He is a tenor, a bit absent minded but a really nice guy. One of my first Jewish friends.
Myke- Incredibly funny and a joy to be around. Has a bit of ghetto flavor to him which makes me smile a lot. He does a mean vogue, which the cast got to experience. Incredible dancer! The boy is living it!
Lauren- A free spirit who is so so so much fun. Felt totally comfortable right when I met her. She loves to have fun and is so sweet. My “Witchy Woman” in the cast. (Reference to a song that I sing and she dances to with me.)
Jon Paul- My director. An incredible dancer who can choreograph anything I think. Very patient with us who are not as coordinated. Makes me laugh a lot.
Dana- The singer dancer of the cast. She is very quirky and spunky. So so so Broadway! Really hard worker! Get it!
Nehemiah- Such a breath or fresh air. Have had some really great chats with him and love just hanging out with him. Really really funny and a phenomenal dancer! So glad he is in my cast!
Anica- So Beautiful in every sense of the word. She is a gorgeous dancer, with a great spirit! She also has one of my favorite laughs ever. Such a hearty laugh! Love her!

So that is my cast. I love them all and we get along really well. A great chemistry! As far as my own journey so far it has been hard but good. I went into this contract worried that they were going to make me sing tenor songs that I am not comfortable singing. Well, my worries were correct. I am singing a lot of tenor songs which is forcing me to stretch my vocal range a ton. It has been really challenging but our vocal director Randy has really helped me a lot with different vocal exercises that will help get notes that I never have hit before. He warmed me up to a C yesterday……it wasn’t pretty, but I hit it. (For those of you who aren’t music people. For a Baritone a C is really a very high note.) So, challenge after challenge in that sense and learning how to perform as Curtis Wilson and not a character. Not going to lie, it has made me a bit stressed trying to do all of this, but at the same time it is forcing me to get out of my comfort zone. Yipee for hot tea and vocal rest!

In the 2nd show we are doing on the ship there are a lot of little acrobatics and Cirque Du Sole type acts. One of those is a thing called the web. You put your hand in a loop at the top of a rope and then get spun around while doing different moves. It is nauseating and I am not a fan of doing it but I did get a chance to try it out. If you are a facebook friend there is video that i uploaded. Good for a laugh.

On a different note I am trying to keep my chin up and have a good attitude about doing long distance. It has been so hard for me not to be around the person that I love. I am so use to spending time, going on dates, being able to love on them and now I feel like it has been drastically ripped away from me. I still get to talk every day for the most part which is so good and I need that, but not being able to see that person in person is really hard. Everything I do reminds me of them and how much I want to be there. Don’t get me wrong, I am loving what I am doing right now and I am enjoying all of it, but I just wish my other half were enjoying it with me. Absence makes the heart grow fonder though and it is very true. 3 months, it will go by in a flash….at least that is what I keep telling myself.

A special note for my love. (others feel free to stop reading, sappiness will ensue) I miss you so much, and think of you all the time. You are truly my best friend and not having you here is rough but at the same time a great opportunity to grow. I love you. You are my fave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog